Wednesday 13 June 2012

Rock the Claddagh!


Debbie Field's Claddagh

Having dinner with a wonderful friend recently I couldn't help but notice her claddagh ring. All through the evening I kept thinking to myself.....Has she always worn that? Why haven't I photographed it before now? When I finally asked it turns out I wasn't losing my mind at all.

I had been round several months ago telling her about my work and this blog. I must have just written the piece about the Claddagh and was explaining how much I loved mine, how I wore it, how you notice them from a mile away and feel that connection.

Now, Debbie's family on her father's side is Irish, she's a Tyrell. Her mother was English and for what ever reason she had never had a claddagh ring as a child or as an adult. It turns out that after that evening her husband, Geoff, had searched out this beautiful silver claddagh in  a Leicester jewellers. He got the kids to keep it a secret and presented it to her as a Christmas present. Aaaw. Nice one Geoff.


Read Debbie's family story.
Read more about the Claddagh
See our growing collection of Claddagh photos

If you'd like to be involved contact us on 0116 276 9186 or pop in to:
The Emerald Centre, Gipsy Lane, Leicester. LE5 OTB

We're now also on Twitter: follow me on  @irishleicester

Click here to view a map of The Irish in Leicester.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda,
    I don't know if you already know this but the Claddagh ring originates from Galway and was given to local girls there by sailors who regularly stopped off there on thier travels. It signifies undying love I believe.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers Steve, (Irish Emigrant Project LSAD) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was from The Claddagh in Galway but the sailor story is new to me. Did the sailors wear them as well then do you know? I love the fact that men wear them too.

    ReplyDelete